Saturday, August 11, 2007

A fond memory of President Faust

In the two days since his death, much has been written about President Faust, second counselor in the First Presidency. We thought we would add our own small contribution. VoU2 was fortunate enough to meet President Faust on a few occasions, and was always impressed by his kindness. He was truly a nice guy. The most vivid memory, though, involved his humorous side:

At a function with the First Presidency several years ago in the Church Administration Building, the guests included Olympic gold medalist Rulon Gardner. As President Faust stood near the wrestler, he suddenly got a mischievous look on his face . . .


Next thing we knew, President Faust had Gardner in a wrestling hold.


Everyone except the French judge called it a draw...

He'll be missed.

7 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Well, I dropped by this blog because its title is the most pretentious I've ever seen, but I like your pictures and sense of humor, so I may drop back.

Misty Fowler said...

Everyone should aspire to be remembered that way. My father is missed by many, and humorous events such as the one you described are how we remembered him during the week after his passing. And that's how he would have wanted it. I'm not LDS, and I had no clue who this guy was prior to his passing on, but I've learned a lot about him since then, through blogs such as yours, and I rather wish I'd had the honor of meeting him.

Voice of Utah said...

Paperback writer: Thanks. Glad you mentioned the title of the blog--it was actually intended to be humorous. (We do occasionally suspect that our views are not shared by 100% of all Utahns...)

Misty, good observation. We assume that people are competent and suited for their position; it's their human elements that stand out.

Alienated Wannabe said...

Despite my fondness for this blog and its authors, I also have tended to associate "Voice of Utah" with the "Mouth of Sauron" from the Lord of the Rings.

(Please see http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie/rotk/msh_1.jpg and also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouth_of_Sauron)

Sorry for the cheap partisan jab, my friends. Actually, a party that has placed such great men in public office as James E. Faust has to have something going for it. I have long loved and admired him -- definitely one of my heroes. I will miss him.

Thanks for sharing these fantastic photos! Is VoU2 MKJ?

Voice of Utah said...

Hey, we like cheap partisan jabs! Nothing like a good jab to keep the blood flowing.

As for VoU2's identity, alas, it is as closely guarded as that of another anonymous blogger we know. Who knows, we may be at lunch together some day, not knowing that we were launching insults at each other earlier that very morning.

Jesse Harris said...

Anyone would be lucky to be remembered this way.

And VoU is Utah's very own Fake Steve Jobs. Finding out who he/she/it is would kill the magic.

Voice of Utah said...

Now that you mention it, we have been called she/it before. At least I think that's what they were saying.