Saturday, September 29, 2007

No, Mitt, you've got me wrong

Skimming through the latest fundraising letters in my mailbox, something in Mitt Romney's pitch caught my eye. Since I have "been so generous in my support of the Republican Party," he says, how about forking over some dough for his campaign?

Two things. First, if I were Mitt Romney, I would be a little embarrassed that his No. 2 state in contributions is the tiny and reputation-precedes-it state of Utah. As if that doesn't emphasize what, to some anyway, is a question mark about his candidacy, and make it appear that his overall support is limited.

But here's my bigger gripe. Yes, I have donated to Republican candidates, but what does that have to do with the Republican Party? They are not the same thing. Believe it or not, some of us make decisions by looking at individual candidates, rather than marching lockstep to a political party tune. By assuming the two go hand in hand, Romney is reinforcing, albeit subtly, the same partisan rhetoric that a lot of us voters are growing tired of. Please stop--and then (if you'll stop saying some other things, too) we'll talk about money.

1 comment:

twclay said...

You are correct.

Candidates <> Party

I am tired of all of the demogogery - "Just like those Republicans" or "Democrats always.." - and yes, it works both ways.