Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Should Chris Cannon be deployed to Iraq?

This morning's MittRomneyFanClub links to an interesting column yesterday by Chris Cannon in the conservative Human Events. Cannon says that diplomats who refuse to be deployed to Iraq (President Bush's latest backdoor draft) should be fired. There's no excuse for refusing to serve in Iraq, he writes:
All diplomats, as a condition of employment, must agree to be deployed anywhere in the world, at any time, for whatever reason.
Good point, Congressman. It reminded me of the oath that you took when you became a member of the House of Representatives:

"I, (name of member), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."
Well, Congressman, we need you to defend our Constitution against some foreign enemies. They're in Iraq. We know you are prepared to fulfill your oath. Don't worry, though; from some of your writings, it appears that the war is almost over, so you shouldn't be gone too long. Go get 'em, Tiger!

2 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

Probably be a good idea... especially in Rep. Cannon's case... to add a line to the oath Congressmen must take requiring them to actually read the Constitution they so blithely swear to uphold. At least once a year.

Misty Fowler said...

Curmudgeon, I think that's why they're shrinking it (to borrow from Kucinich), so that way they don't have as much to read or be responsible for.