Protests, oppression, human rights violations. Sounds like a job for the China 14, the intrepid Utah legislators and staffers who risked their own -- well, actually nothing -- on a taxpayer-funded boondoggle to China last summer. In addition to all that trade they would generate for Utah, one justification of the trip was to help foster "world peace." If only they had wandered over to Tibet instead of Liaoning. It's not too late, though. Send them to Tibet! Not permanently, just until a lasting peace is achieved.
P.S. We think it's worth a periodic reminder (between now and, say, November) of which legislators spent our tax money on their Asian vacations, rewarding China for all it does for us and its own people. According to the D-News, they were:
• Senate Majority Leader Curt Bramble, R-Provo
• House Majority Leader David Clark, R-Santa Clara
• Senate Majority Whip Dan Eastman, R-Bountiful
Hey, didn't Eastman just announce his retirement? We want a refund!
• Sen. Peter Knudson, R-Brigham City
• Senate Minority Leader Mike Dmitrich, D-Price
Wait a minute -- didn't Dmitrich just retire, too? Got that China trip in just under the wire, huh?
• Sen. Howard Stephenson, R-Draper
• Sen. Mark Madsen, R-Lehi
• Sen. Brent Goodfellow, D-West Valley
• Rep. Sheryl Allen, R-Bountiful
• Rep. Kerry Gibson, R-Ogden
• Rep. Kory Holdaway, R-Taylorsville
• Rep. Carl Duckworth, D-Magna
• Rep. Eric Hutchings, R-Kearns